Elizabeth Rosenthal, a former physician and now editor-in-chief of Kaiser Health News, recently wrote an opinion piece for the New York Times on “Nine Rights Every Patient Should Demand.” They include:
- The right to an itemized bill in plain English.
- The right to never receive a surprise out-of-network bill.
- The right to accurate information about the provider network in my insurance plan.
- The right to a stable network.
- The right to be informed of conflicts of interest.
- The right to be informed in advance about any facility fees.
- The right to see a price list for elective procedures
- The right to be informed of cheaper options.
- The right to know that a disputed bill will not be sent to a collection agency.
Rosenthal is also the author of “An American Sickness: How Healthcare Became Big Business and How You Can Take It Back.