The National Institute on Aging suggests you ask your doctor seven questions before leaving the office.
- What is the name of the medicine and why am I taking it?
- What medical condition does this medicine treat?
- How many times a day should I take this medicine? How much medicine should I take?
- How long will it take this medicine to work? When should I stop taking it?
- What should I do if I miss a dose?
- Are there any side effects I should know about? When should I call you if I am having side effects?
- Can I safely mix this medicine with the remedies, vitamins, and OTC drugs I am taking?
The Institute also advises that each time you visit, be sure to ask your doctor if you still need to be on all your medicines.